Saturday, December 28, 2013

Phase 4: Master Closet & Vanity - Accessory Wall

Creative accessory organizers and displays are all over Pinterest lately.  That's where I got the inspiration for a lot of what I designed and created for my Accessory Wall.  



I started with Goodwill and found a lot of really cheap elements for my Wall.  This floral decoration caught my eye because of the large flowers that would go well with the Magnolia theme. ($2)


This large frame (which I apparently forgot to photograph the front of in its original state before painting it) had a foam board backing that wouldn't work for my project, so the husband bought and cut some plywood to fit. (roughly $10 total)


This toy shelf find was 99 cents and is from a Melissa & Doug toy!


I found a lot of great glassware, not all of which is pictured here, and some pieces will be used for my vanity to hold cotton balls, Q-tips, makeup brushes, etc.


Rather than buy a ton of new cabinet pulls, I used our stash of old cheap knobs and handles that we took out of the kitchen a few months ago.  They would need to be spray painted of course.


The most expensive part of making this wall was the spray paint.  Unfortunately, the lavender color looks like periwinkle blue after it's sprayed, so that was a waste of $7 ... but it worked out in the end.


 I got lucky with a nice, sunny weekend in August, and I covered the deck with cardboard for some serious spray painting!


Don't ask about the hammer ... that was for a Halloween costume ... ;o)



For the jewelry organizer, I spray-painted the old wooden frame from Goodwill in a metallic silver.  Then I lined up the old (and a few new) knobs and handles onto the plywood backing so that I could tell him where to drill holes in it.  The new knobs were 99 cents each at Lowe's ($5), and the handles were about $3 each, I think.  I chose to buy a few new ones because I was worried about certain jewelry being able to hang on the kind of old handles that I had.


After the holes were drilled, and after the lavender-that-looks-periwinkle-blue color disaster, I painted the plywood black.


Spray painting the knobs and handles was a bit of an experiment to see if the paint would even stick and look right.  Honestly, it didn't work 100%, but it was good enough.  The trick is to be patient and do one thin coat of paint at a time.  As this requires the "p" word ... PATIENCE ... my knobs didn't turn out so great.  But, they were good enough by my standards to go ahead and use!  (Sometimes I liked to use my mistakes in the finished work as a reminder that it's okay to make mistakes and be imperfect!)


After everything dried, we screwed the knobs and handles into the plywood, hooked it into the silver frame, and hung it on the empty purple wall on my side of the closet!


What I love most about it is seeing a re-furbished frame, knobs, and handles mixed with a new plywood backing, a few new knobs and handles, and a fresh coat of paint.



We had a few of these pre-shaped wooden boards left over from a Mother's Day project we worked on back in May, so I decided to spray paint both of them black and screw in some new coat hooks.  These hooks were probably about $3 each ... I tried to get the nicest, cheapest ones as always.


The plan for these hooks is to hang belts, scarves, hats, etc.  I have a long one with 5 hooks and a shorter one with 3 hooks.


These 2 wooden boards used to be wall decorations from the 1960s, I'm guessing, and I apparently forgot to take Before pictures of them, too.  They were 99 cents each at Goodwill, and I sprayed them black, then added a drawer handle to each.  The handles were the most expensive ones on the wall ... $4 each.  I wanted them to be sturdy.


The old wooden toy tray needed to be sanded well because of the paint and branding that was on it before.  Then I sprayed it with the same shiny silver paint.


I found this very ornate, textured, sparkly scrapbook paper (1 sheet .. less than $1).


I trimmed up the paper to fit each compartment.


Using spray glue (which I seem to really like because I use it in a lot of different projects!), I glued in the paper.


I would recommend more glue than less because the corners kept wanting to peel out, especially after this was mounted on the wall.  Maybe even use Mod Podge or some other strong glue where you can really control the application better than a spray adhesive.


I picked up these screw-in cup hooks at Meijer and used them to create little jewelry hooks inside each compartment.


The screws were a bit too long and poked out the other side, so I didn't screw them in all the way.  It looks okay.  Another option would have been to screw them in all the way and have my husband clip off the ends that poked through, but that would've left little holes in the outside of my jewelry box, so ... I didn't do that.


And here is the spray painted floral wall hanging.  It turned out really nice.


Here are a few other things that I picked up at various places like Goodwill, Michael's, and Jo-Ann ...


A pretty plate to line up some products on my vanity.


Some very Magnolia-looking flowers.


Some Magnolia-looking art ($1 each on clearance!).


I tried to create my own milk glass vase with spray paint and this cheap vase from Goodwill ... but as you can see from the drippage, I didn't do so well ... I'm planning to try that again in the future, but for now, I won't cover it in detail!


I did find another junky wooden frame and give it a fresh coat of black.  Then I just barely sprayed it with the shiny silver paint to make it look sparkly.


This frame still has a nice backing and the glass is intact, so I came up with a cute idea for how to include it in the decor... will reveal it later.


Here's another milk glass attempt ... it failed when I accidentally touched it with my finger.  Ugh.


I found this thick glass tumbler at Goodwill and threw some extra glass pebbles I had from another project into it.  Now my brushes live in it!

The Big Reveal is yet to come!  There is much more to do in the closet, and I don't want to give it all away.

No comments:

Post a Comment