Saturday, December 28, 2013

Phase 5: Master Closet & Vanity - Clothes

I used to have two wire shelves on the long wall in our closet. We had all of our suitcases, bags, and my husband's 37 shoeboxes (some empty, some stuffed full of photos ... I'll take control of them and organize it all at some point in the future I'm sure!) stuffed at the top.  Every once in a while, something would fall down, and then we had to strategize about how to get it back up there without making anything else fall off.

Pre-reno:


Mid-reno (floor replaced, shelves ripped out, wall painted):



We ripped out the wire shelving (yay!), and I painted that wall gray.


Why gray? Because it is neutral, not girly purple like my side of the closet, and transitions well into the blue side of my husband's closet.


The plan for this wall includes my clothes (both hanging, shelves, and drawers -- yay, drawers!), towels, toiletries, medicine cabinet, etc.  Our master bathroom does not have very much storage, so we needed to use a section of our closet for things typically kept in the bathroom.


I accidentally trimmed this short wall between the closet and bathroom gray before I remembered that I was going to paint it blue.  Meh.


You can see through the master bath and into our bedroom where filthy walls await ... they will be a 2014 project.


My husband put the baseboards back up after the paint was dry, caulked them, and I went back over the trim.  I really hate it when we have to take the baseboards off because I have to paint them somewhere else in the house on cardboard, re-install them, wait for the husband to caulk them and for the caulk to dry, then trim the wall color, wait for it to dry, then tape the wall and paint the white baseboard again to catch any caulk spots or clean up mistakes from trimming the wall.  It's just tedious.  If you don't have to install new flooring, leave your baseboards installed and cut out all of those extra steps!


Remember all of the white shelving we pulled out of the closet? My husband re-used most of it to build me a brand new wall of hanging bars and shelves! What's left will be built into his side of the closet, but it's not enough, so we will have to buy SOME new pieces.


This section by the bathroom door will actually be where we keep the towels, toiletries, and medicine cabinet.


The top section is 12" off the ceiling and perfect for lining up our suitcases and rarely-used bags.

He started off using wooden blocks to mount the shelves, but then he switched to metal L-brackets.  They look a lot nicer and are more hidden than the blocks.


The second section of shelves is about 14" and perfect for storing winter clothes in the summer, summer clothes in the winter, or jeans that I hope to one day fit back into .... <fingers crossed />.


 We purchased some hanging bars from Menards for a great price.  They were running a 15% special, I believe.  The dresser is from Target, and we bought it a few years ago.  Now we can't find another white one like it!  Target still has the dark cherry color, though, and I will have to get one of those instead.  Oh well... it matches the floor.

And here is a Before look at my husband's side of the closet! Ugh!


The towels, toiletries, and medicine cabinet used to be here:


So, we ripped all of his shelves out too and moved his stuff into the entryway closet so I could paint.


We picked a nice pale blue because our master bath will be a beach theme, as it's been since we first got married, and you can see his part of the closet while standing in the master bath.  We didn't want to pick some crazy color that would clash with the bathroom.


Standing on the long wall, I snapped a picture of our His & Hers closet as it looks today!


Still not done ... more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment