Saturday, December 28, 2013

Phase 2: Master Closet & Vanity - Shoe Shelves

After painting one side of the master closet and installing half of the flooring in Phase 1 of the Master Closet Renovation, it was time to slowly start getting our things put back into the closet.  Living out of laundry baskets, boxes, and the coat closet by our front door was not an ideal long-term situation.

The next few projects were my shoe shelves, vanity shelving, and accessory wall.  In this post, I'll show you how we upcycled the plain white shelving that we tore down out of the closet and made fabric-lined, floating shoe shelves between the two windows.



I chose this fabric for the shelving because I was planning to accent the vanity area with metallics, but I also liked the magnolia-looking pattern.  I visited a friend over the summer and saw a magnolia tree for the first time in Memphis, TN.  I really love how beautiful they are, and I was seeing magnolias everywhere at Home Goods and craft stores, so I decided that they would be another element of the room.  




We had plenty of shelves to re-use, so I just needed to figure out how many shoes shelves I wanted, and then I could buy the right yardage of fabric and the right number of hanging brackets.  I measured my tallest shoes to figure out how much space to leave between each shelf.  I decided where I wanted the top and bottom shelves to sit on the wall.  The space in between the top and bottom shelves was then split evenly based on my ideal amount of space between each shelf. I ended up needing 8 - 36"x12"x1" shelves and bought 16 brackets to mount them with (2 brackets per shelf).  Yay, Math!



My plan was to wrap each shelf like a present and use spray adhesive to make the fabric stick to the shelf.  I had already lined a cabinet interior with fabric before (read about that project here), so I was pretty confident that they were going to turn out as I wanted.  (Note: some of the edges are coming loose now and fraying, so looking back, I would recommend tucking in raw edges and making sure to glue those down firmly).

I cut and ironed 8 pieces of fabric that were about 8" longer and wider than the shelf dimensions, to allow for wrapping around the edges.  I did not measure everything perfectly, so this part when very quickly.



Always glove up when you're working with spray adhesive!  It doesn't like to come off of your fingers!



I wrapped and glued each shelf like a present, tucking in the corners tightly.  This took about 10 minutes per shelf once I got the hang of it.  


When they were finished, it was my husband's turn to get them mounted onto the wall.


I am really happy with the decision to make these floating shelves because the lack of sides means that they don't block any of the natural light coming in from the windows.  I also think they add a lot of character to what would otherwise be just a boring closet.  


The top 3 shelves, which are at or above (my) eye level, had to be flipped over so that the fabric side is facing down and the glue side is facing up.  All of the other shelves below eye level are fabric side up and glue side down.



Ta-da!  Not bad considering what it used to look like .........


When this project was finished, and I had all of my shoes put onto the shelves, I couldn't help but think that these shelves deserve to hold shoes a LOT cuter than mine .... time to go shopping! :)


I clearly need to add some color to my shoe collection! Sheesh!  All browns, blacks, and tans for this girl apparently...


I hope to get a much better picture once the lighting and curtains are all finished.

Shoe shelf done!

No comments:

Post a Comment